MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft Access

Questions in migration from Access -> MySQL
Posted by: Victor Ma
Date: August 02, 2004 10:57PM

Hi Gurus,

We currently have a Microsoft Access 2000 database with a size about 30MB. We need to port this database to MySQL.

We need to add security features into MySQL which the current Access doesn't have. The Access database also has some functionalities written in VB script, which we need to port to MySQL as well.

My questions are:

1. Our database has about 10 users. Although I generally don't like the unstability of the Access database, (it crashes often), but I really like the GUI of it where you can create fancy forms and use fancy VB script to do lots of stuff.

We prefer to use IE or a simple windows application as the client application for MySQL. Is it easy to create similar GUI like the Access VB scripts? Or I have to know C or PhP to do them?

2. Microsoft Access does not have sophicated security features, for example, it does not have access control for each fields, and the # of records display on the forms always, it's not easy to hide that information.

Can MySQL handle these? For example, I have a customer table which has payment fields, I only want to allow certain users to modify it? And if let's say I have 1000 records in customer table, but each time when a user look at record #15, it only shows that record, without the "15 of 1000" information?

Please help.

Victor

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Questions in migration from Access -> MySQL
August 02, 2004 10:57PM
November 12, 2005 06:02AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.