MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft Access

Replace tables in Microsoft Access using ODBC connection to mySQL
Posted by: Judith Scarl
Date: February 02, 2012 09:30AM

Hi, thanks for reading this message. I am using an online database (mySQL) to maintain bird sighting records. Another organization maintains the online database. I am using an ODBC connection to import the remotely-stored data into Microsoft Access 2007. I am not using linked tables. I am building relationships and queries in my Access database in order to create data summaries and analyze data.

I need to replace the data in my Access database with updated data from the online database periodically. Right now when I import data using my ODBC connection, the new mySQL tables import into new tables in my Access database. This is not good as then I have to re-create all of my relationships, queries, etc.

Is there a way to replace my Access tables with the corresponding mySQL tables and retain my relationships?

Do I have to build linked tables? Do linked tables mean that if I change data in my Access tables, it will change the data in the online mySQL database? I don't want this to happen- the only changes to the data should be made online through the mySQL online data entry portals. Can I create a one-way link where Access updates based on the mySQL but the online database is not changed based on what I do in Access?

Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate any advice.

Best,
Judith

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Replace tables in Microsoft Access using ODBC connection to mySQL
February 02, 2012 09:30AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.