MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft Access

Re: Questions in migration from Access -> MySQL
Posted by: Nick Roper
Date: August 03, 2004 02:49AM

Hi Victor,

Some thoughts for you, although I am sure other people with be able to advise of other options:

1)

a) You could use an ODBC interface to connect a VB/Access (or a.n.other) GUI front-end to a MySQL back-end.

b) You could use Dreamweaver or similar as a tool to layout a browser-based front-end and use PHP to connect to the MySQL database. You don't need to be an experienced PHP programmer, as Dreamweaver will generate the code for you (although it always helps to know what the code is doing so that you can tweak it)

c) There are a vast number of open-source PHP/MySQL based application out there that, depending on what your requirements are, may give you a total solution or at least a good starting point.

d) You can start from scratch and develop the application from the ground up in PHP or similar.

2)

You can set MySQL user privileges at a range of levels, including column (field) level access control. See:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/GRANT.html

> For example, I have a customer table which has payment fields, I only want to allow certain users to modify it? And if let's say I have 1000 records in customer table, but each time when a user look at record #15, it only shows that record, without the "15 of 1000" information?

Certainly no problem witha PHP based application for example - you can expose/hide whatever detail you wish.

Hope this helps...

--
Nick Roper

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Questions in migration from Access -> MySQL
August 03, 2004 02:49AM
November 12, 2005 06:02AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.