MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft Access

Newbie Question MS Access to MySQL
Posted by: Timothy Belanger
Date: April 26, 2010 02:02PM

Totally new to MySQL. Question for which I am sure there is no quick answer. Sorry for the long explanation.

Running a rather complex Access 2003 database. Have pretty much used it(Access) as a very complex asset tracking type of tool. When I showed it to a clients in house dev team they were shocked at how far we had stretched Access abilities.

Typical Access situation, started simpler and just grew as functionality was needed.

The issue we ran into was we have hit the ceiling on the number of replicated databases associated with a Design Master, last I checked they had over 1000 replicas in the replicated db table at which point Access just can not handle it anymore and refuses to start.

I have an older copy of this database that has not crashed yet, am looking to import this into MySQL. Everything I see on the board talks about migration of the data to MySQL from Access, I am in a totally different boat. I could care less about the data now.

What I would like to import is all my tables and relationships I have established between them, along with and VB code that has already been written.

Is it possible to just blow away all my data in my tables and more or less just migrate over the framework and or structure of my database?

I have no problem with recreating forms or even importing a form frame and re-associating the fields, just do not want to lose all of the back-end structure that is build already.

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. Want to see if this is at all a possibility or if I should start from scratch.

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Newbie Question MS Access to MySQL
April 26, 2010 02:02PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.