Re: linking TO MS Access table FROM MySQL
Posted by: Scott Ward
Date: June 21, 2006 10:07AM

> This is a rather weird request... Either way,
> you should probably ask on a phpMyAdmin forum
> rather then here since your goal isn't to use MySQL
> but rather Acces through phpMyAdmin which has NOTHING
> to do with MySQL.

Yes, it does. I may have been unclear. I used phpMyAdmin as an example front end. The real need is to link to an Access table from within MySQL so that the Access table shows up within MySQL as a linked table (and can be manipulated with whatever frontend is used).

> Well, you COULD technically impliment a new database engine
> in MySQL which would really be an Jet implimentation (a bit
> like the MySQL CSV engine but you'd target MDB files...) I
> have no idea of the scope of such a project though.

OK, yeah. That makes sense. That's basically what I need. Based on your response, such a MySQL database engine doesn't exist, right?

The reason I am asking about this is that we have a mission critical app that uses Access. I want to augment the application with additional tables, etc but I'd like to use MySQL instead of Access for these for the normal reasons. Now, I know I could move the data over to MySQL and link to the tables from within Access. Then theoretically, the app would work fine. However, the application is controlled by a third party and I'm afraid of hearing this from the programmer: "Hmm. I don't know what the problem is because that error never shows up on our systems. WHAT? You've totally re-organized the backend database? Well, obviously MySQL doesn't behave exactly like Access. And we can't support your non-standard setup."

Are my fears unfounded?

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: linking TO MS Access table FROM MySQL
June 21, 2006 10:07AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.