MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Other Migration

Word Mail Merge using ODBC connector
Posted by: Victor N/A
Date: January 31, 2008 02:59PM

Hi,

I installed the lates ODBC connector for Windows. I created a user DNS to my mysql server. After configuration, the test is succesfull.

After this I open Word and follow the mail merge wizard as mentioned in http://www.helpfuldesign.co.uk/blog/2006/01/mysql-mail-merge-with-microsoft-word.shtml:
1. Tools > Letters and Mailings > Mail Merge Wizard
2. Select Document Type, click Next
3. Select Starting Document, click Next
4. Select "User an existing list" and click "Browse..."
5. Select "+Connect to New Data Source.odc"
6. Select "ODBC DSN"
7. Select the data source by the name you gave it above
8. It will show you a list of the tables in that database. Select the table you want to get data from and give this a description if you feel like it, although you can just leave it if you want.
9. Click Finish.
10. A box will pop up.
11. This bit is important, otherwise it won't work:
Number 3 says: "Enter the initial catalog to use"
Click the drop down box, and then click off the drop down box.
The box should be empty!
12. The "Test Connection" button should now work.
13. Click ok, and you're taken back to the mail merge wizard showing a list of the people in the database.

All works fine, even step 12 is succesfull. But I receive the follow error after step 13 (after clicking ok): "word was unable to open datasource"

What am I doing wrong? In Excel I do receive data from my database using the same ODBC DNS. Why is it not working for Word?

Many thanks for your help!

Regards,
Victor

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Word Mail Merge using ODBC connector
January 31, 2008 02:59PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.