MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Other Migration

Database upgrade process - DB version migration
Posted by: Walter w
Date: June 28, 2010 10:58AM

Hi!

I'm not sure if I have choose right forum for this topic, but let me describe my issue:

I'm having a software - that uses MySQL as database. I have around 80 tables in datbase - software is under developement so DB get constantly updated (small changes like new table or column ... etc).Some part of this software is desktop application - and some is website installed along with each installation (PHP+MySQL+Apache). Now the software is at the stage of first release. I'm using InstallAware as installator - to copy the files, fill register, install MySQL, binaries...etc... To install MySQL I just run mysql.sql that contains schema of database. Now - I need to process software upgrade. Lets imagine I will have to provide small fixes or full upgrade package to already installed instances at client side. This process will be probably automatic - software will connect to our centralized server & download upgrade package. Upgrading files / register or config files is easy - but I will have to probably upgrade DB each time for those small changes.

Now the question is - what is the best way to handle this? What if I will have to make a release each 2 weeks - and each might have small changes to DB structure.

-----------------------

Could you give me idea what is common way to handle this type of upgrade?

I'm thinking for each release I will have to prepare upgrading / convertion script - that will change DB structure / data.

But what if user will have to upgrade older release - to newest jumping over few releases, like having release 1, 2, 3, 4. Should I prepare script for:
1->2 & 1->3 & 1->4
2->3 & 2->4
3->4

So for each combination I have diffrent script? I dont like this solution - because after a while it become complex.

Or maybe I just prepare upgrade scripts for:
1->2
2->3
3->4

And once user want to upgrade 1->4 I run each of this scripts one by one?

Or another way - making a full DUMP of data - then delete database, install new version - and at the end import dump. I'm assuming that new columns will be just empty. But it's not going to work when I delete some columns, right?

-----------------

Or am I making this too complex - and there's some simpler solutions? I would like to automate this process as much as possible ;)

Please give any comments,
Thank you ;)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Database upgrade process - DB version migration
June 28, 2010 10:58AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.