MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Merge Storage Engine

Dynamic row format in merge tables
Posted by: Erik Wetterberg
Date: June 21, 2007 12:59AM

Hi!
I have had some problems with a system using some merge tables. The underlying tables include a lot of empty fields so I tried to change row format to dynamic for all the underlying tables. But this gave me an error message saying that the underlying tables had different format..

I can't find anything in the documenation about dynamic row format in merge tables, is this an undocumented restriction ?

Is there any future in the merge storage engine? I tried replacing the merge table with a view (CREATE VIEW x AS SELECT * FROM a UNION ALL SELET * FROM b etc) and a quick test showed no difference in the queries we make. Since the VIEW approach means less limitations it seems better, since we make no inserts and updats in the merge table.And from the 5.1 version partitoning will be availabe, which will probably be better.

Erik Wetterberg

Gadgets for your Google homepage:
http://www.google.se/ig/authors?hl=en&author=erik.wetterberg@jubic.se

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2007 08:08AM by Erik Wetterberg.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Dynamic row format in merge tables
June 21, 2007 12:59AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.