MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Merge Storage Engine

Are merge tables suited for this?
Posted by: Flemming Rodler
Date: June 14, 2005 07:55AM

I have a log table that gets filled with about 6-9Gbytes per day (29M rows with 200 - 300 bytes/row). The date is allways written (bulk loaded) to the end of the table every few minutes.

I consider partioning this table into a series of tables (fx one for each week of data) and combine them using a merge table. Besides the bulk loading of data into the end of the table the table is only accessed with selects. Each select on the table is selecting a consecutive range of rows from the table.

I imagine that in the future old data have to spooled out of the table (and onto some other media for possible retrival or reviewing of old data). I think merge tables could make this task very easy.

Considering the about what I would like to ask is this:

1) Should I just stick with one big table or will I benefit from a merge table.

2) If do use a merge table would I experience too bad a performance if I query the merge table and not the individual tables (would be far easier to write selects for this).

Regards
Flemming

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Are merge tables suited for this?
June 14, 2005 07:55AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.