MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Triggers

Progress - More Info - More Questions
Posted by: John Hundley
Date: October 21, 2010 01:01PM

Ok so I have been playing around with this and I have some more questions, first a simple example of the triggers:

USE db1;

DROP TRIGGER IF EXISTS test_trigger;

CREATE TRIGGER test_trigger AFTER UPDATE ON db1.packages
FOR EACH ROW
UPDATE db2.packages p SET p.queue_order = NEW.repetition WHERE p.id = NEW.id;

USE db2;

DROP TRIGGER IF EXISTS test_trigger_2;

CREATE TRIGGER test_trigger_2 AFTER UPDATE ON db2.packages
FOR EACH ROW
UPDATE db1.packages p SET p.repetition = NEW.queue_order WHERE p.id = NEW.id;

Now when I update the field in db1 I am trying to synchronize everything works but mysql throws the following error on db1:

Can't update table 'packages' in stored function/trigger because it is already used by statement which invoked this stored function/trigger.

This is because:

update db1 -> test_trigger fires, updates db2 -> test_trigger_2 fires, attempts to update db1 -> exception

Here are my questions:

Is there a way to trap the error and ignore it? (I have considered other options like dropping and recreating triggers but trapping seems to be the best solution).

Obviously I am going to need to put more logic into the triggers so I want to add a begin end block. When I attempt to put stuff in a begin end block I get a mysql syntax error so something like this:

CREATE TRIGGER test_trigger AFTER UPDATE ON epd.packages
FOR EACH ROW
BEGIN
UPDATE helius.packages p SET p.queue_order = NEW.repetition WHERE p.id = NEW.id;
END;

throws this error:

Error Code : 1064
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 4

I don't understand what is wrong with this syntax any ideas? BTW I am on version 5.0.51

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Progress - More Info - More Questions
October 21, 2010 01:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.