MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Triggers

LAST_INSERT_ID(expr) inside trigger
Posted by: Jeff Harp
Date: February 24, 2006 02:40PM

Hello,

I'm working with 5.0.18 (5.0.18-Debian_6-log specifically) with InnoDB engine and am trying to manipulate the value returned by LAST_INSERT_ID() by passing it an argument (expr), as is discussed at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/information-functions.html. I have tried the example provided and it works as described. But when I try to do it inside a trigger, it does not seem to work.

I would like to do this inside a trigger because I need to manipulate the value of a column in a table when I insert a new row. Conceptually, you could think of the column as an auto_increment column, but in this case the value by which the column advances is not 1, but the result of a non-trivial calculation. This is a modification to an existing database, and the original column being replaced was an auto_increment column.

I am dealing with a large code base (PHP) that uses the mysql_insert_id() function to obtain the "ID" value that was last inserted. Modifying the code base is not a realistic option given the costs that would be involved, and hence my interest in manipulating the value returned by LAST_INSERT_ID() within a trigger so the code base can remain unchanged.

Here's a very simple example (for mysql utility) which reproduces what I have observed:

CREATE DATABASE last_insert_test;

USE last_insert_test;

CREATE TABLE table1 (
id1 int
) ENGINE=InnoDB;

CREATE TABLE table2 (
id2 int
) ENGINE=InnoDB;

INSERT INTO table2 VALUES(NULL);

delimiter //

CREATE TRIGGER table1_before_insert BEFORE INSERT ON table1 FOR EACH ROW
BEGIN
DECLARE last_id1 INT;
IF NEW.id1 IS NULL THEN
BEGIN
SELECT MAX(id1) INTO last_id1 FROM table1;
IF last_id1 IS NULL THEN
SET NEW.id1 = 101;
ELSE
SET NEW.id1 = last_id1 + 5;
END IF;
UPDATE table2 SET id2=LAST_INSERT_ID(NEW.id1);
END;
END IF;
END;//

delimiter ;

INSERT INTO table1 VALUES (NULL);

SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID(); # does not change to reflect last insert into table1

Any response that can account for what I am observing, point out a mistake I am making, or offer a working alternative solution, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff Harp

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
LAST_INSERT_ID(expr) inside trigger
February 24, 2006 02:40PM
February 24, 2006 03:38PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.