MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Convert NULL to Zero After JOIN and Add Values together
Posted by: Bob
Date: June 03, 2010 10:49AM

I posted this in different forum, but think this forum is more appropriate for the question below. I am creating 4 temp tables a, b, c, and d with month (mon) as a common column. I will always have data in tables a and b,but c could be null. That is, there could be no row in table c for that given month. Table d is created to perform addition on values in a, b, and c.

After joining the databases, rightfully so, Mysql returns NULL for the missing months:

create temporary table d (mon int(2), diff decimal(9,2)) select a.mon as mon, a.amtx + b.amty + c.amtz as diff from (a left join b using (mon) left join c using (mon)) group by a.mon;

select a.mon, a.amtx, b.amty, c.amtz, d.diff from (a left join b using (mon) left join c using (mon) left join d using (mon)) group by a.mon;

Gives the result:

a.mon a.amtx b.amty c.amtz d.diff
1 -10.00 14.00 -5.00 -1.00
2 -14.00 19.00 -3.00 2.00
3 -20.000 30.00 NULL NULL

Now I am trying to convert the NULL's to 0. I have tried coalese(), and ifnull(), but table c does not have NULL amounts, The NULL comes about because of the join. Further, I have table d which adds values in a, b, and, c, and so if there is no value for a given month in table c, then the math also returns a NULL in table d.

What I want is for the math to work even if c.amtz is null, and have zeros instead of the word NULL, so:

a.mon a.amtx b.amty c.amtz d.diff
1 -10.00 14.00 -5.00 -1.00
2 -14.00 19.00 -3.00 2.00
3 -20.000 30.00 0 10.00

So the question is how do you convert NULL to zero upon the left join, there is no cooresdonding row in Table c?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Convert NULL to Zero After JOIN and Add Values together
June 03, 2010 10:49AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.