MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Query advice - Multiple LEFT JOINS to same table or not??
Posted by: Joby Tyler
Date: March 24, 2005 06:39AM

Hi - some noob help required.....wonder if anyone could give me some advice on the best way to achieve the following:

I have a table holding details of Pigeons (yes - bit random I know!), and each record has a field for each of its parents which corresponds to the pigeon_ID column in the same table.

When displaying the pigeon details, I need to get the data for each parent from the table, based on each parents Pigeon_ID_Number, and display the name and ring number, and a link to display that particular pigeons details.

To further complicate matters, for each of the parents, I need to go get their parents details aswell.

I currently have this working for one generation, using LEFT JOINS to the same table in the MySQL query.

Now I need to do the second iteration, I feel that there must be a neater way to do it - the query is going to be returning loads of columns at once.

My question is, should I be using all these LEFT JOINS, or should i be doing simple single record queries within my PHP display loop (i.e. fatherID=39 - go get record, mother ID=84 - go get record, fathers fatherID=63 go get record - etc.....)

Or is there another way that I dont know about yet - not done much of this and sort of learning as I go along........

Any assistance appreciated..........

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.