MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Which is more effecient?
Posted by: Ray Rose
Date: March 24, 2005 06:46PM

I would like some advice on which method is a more effecient method to use. I have the following setup of my data input:

DataInputA - DataInputU

On the web form there is going to be a maximum of 64 columns and 22 (letters A-U) rows. This adds up to a lot of data to put into a table. Mainly this data consists of DECIMAL(18,2) and one single DataInput of VARCHAR(4). What would be the best method of setting this up into a database?

Method A:
Create DB columns DataInputA1 - DataInputA64 and repeat this for each letter from B to U.

Method B:
Create the DB column DataInputA and set it up as TEXT column type (which will hold the imploded packed data). Then repeat this for the rest of the letters B to U.

This table will experience normal (though sometimes may get high) transaction traffic usage. Maybe you know of a better method. Please share your experiences and suggestions. Thanks.

Your help is much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Which is more effecient?
March 24, 2005 06:46PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.