MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Ranking leaderboard in MySQL!?
Posted by: Roger Wilkinson
Date: April 09, 2005 05:23AM

I am trying to design and implement an online leaderboard in MySQL and PHP. Maybe it is because of lack experience in this field but I am really confused on the basics on how this could be achieved.

Correct me if I'm wrong but data is not stored in any order as such in a SQL db. It is the query you write/code which does the sorting. How then is it possible to have a leaderboard with rankings on?

For example if I had a basic table with fields of name and points.

You could write a basic query to display the top 10 (or whatever limit you choose) users by points, ascending or desc, etc. However if you then have a leaderboard with thousands of users on a leaderboard, this wouldn't be practical. You could obviously pull an individuals record up by using WHERE and the name.

How would I get SQL to output the users ranking? Surely I cannot do it with an extra field called ranking as everytime the ranking changed ALL records would need to be updated...

Surely this kind of thing has been done before. I just can't imagine doing this with SQL due to the nature data is stored and then later sorted.

Please can anyone give me any ideas or tutrials on the net that cover this idea.

Thankyou,

Roger.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Ranking leaderboard in MySQL!?
April 09, 2005 05:23AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.