MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Large tables, very slow deletes.
Posted by: Mark de Ruijter
Date: April 14, 2005 05:23AM

Hi,

I've been using MySQL for a while now and are starting to run into limitations. Either my own, or something else.

I have this really large table, it stores images, it has a mediumblob field, an unsigned id integer field and a timestamp field. This table contains up to a few million rows and is constantly filled real time. It grows up to sizes between 50 and 100 gb and in the future probably even larger.

This data is not supposed to be stored for all time, therefor when a certain treshhold is reached, the oldest 5000 rows are deleted to make room for newer rows. This is where my problem kicks in. Whenever I try to delete those rows, it can take for ever to complete. 500 rows I can delete without problem, 2500 becomes slow, 5000 rows takes several seconds and 10.000 rows or more makes it looks like things are frozen.

Now the temporary solution I have is to delete 500 rows at time, but this means I must do that every 10 seconds just to maintain status quo. I would much rather check every 5 minutes or so, and if needed delete 15.000 rows in one go.

I use MyISAM tables and tried setting the key size to 128M, no luck. I run this on a dual Opteron system with a GB of memory and WinXP-SP2 Proffesional.

Any help would be most welcome.

Regards
Mark

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Large tables, very slow deletes.
April 14, 2005 05:23AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.