MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

connection string from windows, please help
Posted by: Trym Bagger
Date: April 20, 2005 04:06AM

Hello all:

I have just installed mysql via the new windows installer program on my Windows XP Pro machine, and everything works perfectly. Now I would like to make a connection from an asp page to the database (locally on my computer)

The connection string which I use on my mysql database on my web site (externally) is

<%
set Conn = server.CreateObject("ADODB.connection")
Conn.open "Provider=MySQLProv;Location=mysql.myweb.com;Data Source=lacanela;User Id=myname;Password=mypw;"
%>

and that works perfectly.

Now I would like to use the same string for local connections on my PC.

I have tried:

<%
set Conn = server.CreateObject("ADODB.connection")
Conn.open "Provider=MySQLProv;Location=localhost;Data Source=localhost;User Id=root;Password=pw;"
%>

But I get the following error message:

ADODB.Connection (0x800A0E7A)
Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

That leads to several questions:

- Are the Location and Data source arguments correct? (I did not specify anything particular when installation windows package, the user root was automatically created.

- Do I have install something extra in order to make MySQLProv work locally on my computer?

Are there any alternatives to MySQLProv (I prefer OLEDB, not OBDC) - already natively available on win XP Pro?

Thanks a lot!

TB

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
connection string from windows, please help
April 20, 2005 04:06AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.