MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Is MS SQL better than the MySQL?? according to Microsoft...
Posted by: Vernon Jenewein
Date: April 23, 2005 10:11AM

I am a fairly new user and learning about the differences between relational , ISAM, and those that fall into another scope. What I read at Microsoft's website about MySQL makes me wonder about it's capabilities. Now, I admit, that getting info from MS website can be a bit biased, but I would like some input back about what they said in this statement: "I was reading from MS wesite, and I know it may be partial, so I am asking in here for impartiality opinion.

They stated: ..."MySQL is an open-source database management system (DBMS). It uses client/server architecture and is a muti-threaded, multi-user database server. MySQL was designed for speed; therefore, it does not provide many of the features provided by relational database systems, such as sub-queries, foreign keys, referential intergrity, stored procedures, triggers, and views. In addition, it contains a locking mechanism that is not adequate for tables containing many write actions occurring simultaneously from different users. It is also lacking in reference to support for software applications and tools." (ref: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/deploy/mysql.mspx )

So, what I am inquiring is if the above is true to the present MySQL version, and if it is anything to really worry about? I have noted many large companies using MySQL in the main page for their listings of companies currently using their system. From what they have stated, then even my Access 2000 Data Base Manager program that come with Office XP would be adequate for nearly all of my database needs, on a small company basis.

What are some thoughts on this?
Vern
email at jenefarm at direcway . com (the @ is replaced with"at")

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.