MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Can't insert new record because of foreign keys
Posted by: Richard Gundersen
Date: April 26, 2005 05:09AM

Hi again

Thanks for the replies. I've tried the insert from my Java application, MySQL Control Center, and the command line, with the same error each time. I also checked the table types which are all InnoDB, and the types of the fields are also consistent (mediumint(9)).

I tried running SHOW INNODB STATUS but I just got an empty result set (from Control Center) so I'll try it again from the command line because I'm not sure of the syntax.

I think it has something to do with the fact that before I do the insert, I first delete any current associations in the ASSOC table e.g. :

DELETE FROM ASSOC WHERE resource_id = 3

and then I do the insert

INSERT INTO ASSOC (resource_id, attribute_defninition_id) VALUES (3,1)

...which then fails with the "cannot add or update....." error message. I think it may be something to do with "ON DELETE" settings on the foreign keys. I didn't specify any myself, but in MySQL Administrator, it seems to think they are defaulted to 'RESTRICT'.

Maybe I need to change this?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Can't insert new record because of foreign keys
April 26, 2005 05:09AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.