MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

MySQL in JDBC
Posted by: Sean Breslin
Date: May 08, 2005 11:28AM

I am a college student trying to use a MySQL database for a school project. Unfortunately, we were only taught pure SQL commands. This is the first actual assignment. We are required to use Java, so I need to know how to connect to a MySQL database using the JDBC.

Since I have my own domain that comes with MySQL databases, I've chosen to host the database myself to avoid the university's firewall issues. I have the database created and I set it up in phpMyAdmin. I also have the GUI completely made and the SQL commands are ready to be put into place.

I have tried various Google searches, but I have trouble with some of the terminology. Almost always, they mention setting a "classpath" or something, for example... I don't know if this is just a Java thing or whatever, as I normally write in C/C++ with OpenGL or DirectX and have never had to deal with a "classpath". It could be something fundamental that I've forgotten though, as I haven't had to write Java code in 2 years. There's also the fact that I've never used a database before.

I don't know if this is useful or not, but my OS in Windows XP Pro and my IDE is Eclipse. I'm on my own PC for the code and using a domain I pay for for the database, so I have complete admin privaledges on both.

I thank you for your time and would appreciate any help getting this to work.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL in JDBC
May 08, 2005 11:28AM
May 09, 2005 12:03AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.