MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

database design confusion
Posted by: iamdanman
Date: May 11, 2005 02:25PM

Hi,

They way i have my database set up is there are four tables: Users, Schools, Stores, Products. Users and Stores are linked to Schools and Products are linked Stores. The problem though, is that the product information is redundant because the same products are in many of the stores with the only difference being the price. So i thought it would be better to put the all the products with the detailed product information in the Products table and add a product id and then create a new table 'Inventory' that would link store id's to product id's and list the stores price. The problem is that i want to be able to query inventory to find the cheapest priced product from all the stores or one store, but based on criteria in the Products table like type and quantity (6-pack, 12-pack) and brand. I dont understand how that would work?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
database design confusion
May 11, 2005 02:25PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.