MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Idea, advice if feasible (somewhat off-topic)
Posted by: Dave
Date: May 12, 2005 11:50AM

I'm a new user of MySQL, still learning it, but I had an idea and could use some advice.

Here is what I am facing. We need to be able to run some pretty intense queries on our existing MySQL database at work. The programmers say it will put too much stress on the servers and can't be done without a major overhaul, and its just a handful of users who need to do it.

What I want to do is build some client software that can do the queries. I want to take the data from the MySQL server, build it into a client, and let the end user run as many queries as they want. If they slow down their machine, fine, but they won't slow down the server. Plus most users are sitting on some very powerful hardware, so it should be able to handle it.

The issue is my coding skills are rather rusty. So I'm wondering, if I were to take on this project, what would be the best way to tackle it? What languages are best, is there something open source that is already available, etc. The end result has to go into Excel, because thats what my users can operate. Is my idea even feasible or will this be a giant pain?

I'm looking at creating a custom application that can sort/calculate/compare a database that is 1,000 to 5,000 rows in length. Its comparing hours/shift lengths for a large company over several departments. The user will not be adding addition data, just analizing what is already there. I can think of a lot of ways I might be able to do this, but I don't know what way would be easiest. Any advice would be helpful, this project is a long time from happening, if at all.

Thanks and

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Idea, advice if feasible (somewhat off-topic)
May 12, 2005 11:50AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.