MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Help with a query please
Posted by: sonreir
Date: May 17, 2005 02:27AM

Hey everyone. My first post, so a little about myself:

I'm a recent American college grad working for a small software firm here in the UK. I'm new to mySQL as I was trained on Oracle8i in school.

Anyway, as for my question:

I've got two tables; products and suppliers.

The supplier table is huge and contains a list of all products that each supplier sells. The product table contains information about each product and the tables are related using the product code.

I'd like to get from the supplier table the name of the supplier that has the cheapest price for any given product.

What I've got so far is this:
SELECT product.code, supplier.name, min(supplier.cost) FROM supplier, products WHERE supplier.prodCode = product.code GROUP BY product.code;

The problem is that I get all the same supplier name even though the lowest cost is still displayed correctly.
If I remove the min function and the group by clause, I get the correct info, but then I have to sift through it myself and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Help with a query please
May 17, 2005 02:27AM
May 18, 2005 02:23AM
May 19, 2005 09:01AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.