MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

can mysql work without my.cnf -file?
Posted by: Olli Vaananen
Date: May 29, 2005 10:44AM

I'm going to use cyrillic characters, and I was told to put default-character-set=koi8_ru in my.cnf file (Linux).

Funny thing, but there is no such file on my Linux. I did find a file called "my-medium.cnf" (as well as "my-small.cnf","my-large.cnf","my-huge.cnf"), in which it was told

You can copy this file to
# /etc/my.cnf to set global options,
# mysql-data-dir/my.cnf to set server-specific options (in this
# installation this directory is /server/mysql/var) or
# ~/.my.cnf to set user-specific options.

So I suppose mysql can work without. This obviously was something I overlooked when installing Mysql.
Now I have been able to insert cyrillic characters by giving a commands
/etc/rc.d/bin/mysqld down
/etc/rc.d/bin/mysqld up --default-character-set=koi8_ru

But if I wanted to have this variable set everytime mysql starts then I suppose I should have "my.cnf" -file? But should it be in the directory for global options or for server-specific options?

And since in "my-medium.cnf" -file there is no mention about "default-character-set" , where and how should I write it.

Moreover, I don't want my Mysql to handle only cyrillic, but for the most part it'll still be mostly latin1. Will setting the default to koi8_ru somehow affect that?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
can mysql work without my.cnf -file?
May 29, 2005 10:44AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.