MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Is there some way to fake row priledges?
Posted by: Joshua Grass
Date: June 03, 2005 11:56AM

I'm working on some privledge management for my sql database and basically, what I'd like to do is allow anyone to view and entire table, but only allow each user to change one row (or maybe a set of rows) of data.

So something like:
Login / last _change / Data
john / 11:20 / "my dog is green"
sussy / 9:30 / "my cat is blue"

John and sussy can read the entire table, but john can only change his row and sussy can only change hers.

I know this can be done using seperate database for each of them, but the time hit for that is terrible (with 1000 entires, readying a whole table takes about .5 seconds and reading 1000 databases takes more the 500 seconds).

I was also thinking of using collumn priviledges (although I can't find an example of the syntax, and I can't get the sql command to actually work) and making the table one long row, but I'd like to be able to requery the database with a last_time_queried and get rows that have changed. Which I can't do if it is one huge row.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joshua Grass

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Is there some way to fake row priledges?
June 03, 2005 11:56AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.