MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

How to migrate old data from mysql 3.25 to MySQL 4.1 which has to use UTF-8
Posted by: Nico Grubert
Date: June 14, 2005 09:22AM

Hi there,

I have 4 databases (~60 tables) and I use mysql 3.25.
Data have been inserted into MySQL tables via Web Forms which use 'ISO-8859-15' as site encoding.
Now I need to handle UTF-8 data. Since MySQL 3.xx does not support UTF-8 while MySQL 4.x does I want to update to MySQL 4.1 by setting up a new MySQL Server.

My questions are how to migrate old data from mysql 3.25 to MySQL 4.1 which has to use UTF-8 only since all webforms now use 'UTF-8' as site encoding.

1. Am I right, that I just need to tell the MySQL 4.1 server to run with UTF-8 character encoding and then I can import a SQL dump from MySQL 3.25? ...or do I need to convert the data in the SQL dump into utf-8 before I import the SQL dump from MySQL 3.25? If so, how can I do this?

2. Do I need to do anything in the SQL commands for inserting data from utf-8 encoded web forms?

3. Do I need to do anything in the SQL commands for reading data from MySQL to display on utf-8 encoded web sites?

Thank you very much in advance,
Nico

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
How to migrate old data from mysql 3.25 to MySQL 4.1 which has to use UTF-8
June 14, 2005 09:22AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.