MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

User Privileges lost and problems since then.
Posted by: J. Sperlhofer
Date: June 25, 2005 03:01PM

Good morning!

I'm running a MySQL 4.0.23-server on my Ubuntu 5.04 machine.

I have two problems with my mysql-server, and any help would be appreciated. :(

The first problem is a hairy one:
Tonight someone broke into my system and removed all privileges from my users except the debian-sys-maintainer. I managed to get all privileges back to a new root-accout, but my mysql-startup-scrips don't work any more since then.

I get this message when i try to start it:
=====
ninnghizidha@TimeFactory:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
Starting MySQL database server: mysqld.
Checking for crashed MySQL tables in the background.
ninnghizidha@TimeFactory:~$ /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'
=====

Same goes for the account "debian-sys-maint", which was originally in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf. I should add that i entered a new password for the debian-sys-maint while i tried to get those privileges back. So I edited the /etc/mysql/debian.cnf and entered the new shadow of the password, but i didn't help ... i cant get rid of this error.

Second problem:
I'm not able to get access my local mysql-database from my remote webserver. networking is enabled, and the internet-user has privileges for its remote (web) host. I get this message:

=====
Warning: mysql_connect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in [script][line]
=====

Do i miss something?

I guess the best thing to do would be a complete erase of the user-table to day 0 or a fix for the startup-problem.

Please, help me to restore my beloved database to a working state... :(

Sincerly,
j.sperlhofer

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
User Privileges lost and problems since then.
June 25, 2005 03:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.