MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: indexe questions
Posted by: tata668
Date: June 26, 2005 12:47PM

Wow, that is a complete answer Jay Pipes, thanks.

If I understand correctly what you say, the "other1/id" index is not used but *could be*, Am I right? My fear was that because of the "AND test1.id IN (", the index would never be used..

You are also right about test1 and test2 containing really few values because my application is still in development so there are only few values yet.

"First off, you can get rid of your dependent subquery (which isn't needed at all and would be much more efficient as a join)"

Problem is I don't write the query in a straithforward way, I don't write it in "one shot". I use a lot of OO (with PHP) and there is a object called "Filter" that take charge of adding some restrictions to the query.
It's easier to make the "Filter" object output all those restrictions in a "WHERE" clause:

" AND id IN (SELECT xxx) "

Ouputing some "INNER JOIN" would be tricky because I couldn't do this after the "WHERE", I would have to break the construction of the query even more.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm clear (my english is not so good..) but thanks a bunch! I'll analyze your comment more deeply and maybe I'll be back with some more questions if you don't mind! :-)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
June 26, 2005 09:26AM
June 26, 2005 11:11AM
Re: indexe questions
June 26, 2005 12:47PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.