MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Database replication, what to do?
Posted by: Robin Muilwijk
Date: July 09, 2005 08:56AM

Hi,

I need some basic help on how to replicate a database running under MySQL.

My working latform is as follows:

- i have the original database running on a finish hosting company. they do not have something like phpmyadmin. therefore i installed it locally on my pc, connecting to this database. on this local system, using phpmyadmin i see mysql 4.1.7. and phpmyadmin 2.6.3.

- the original database has charset latin1, default collation latin1_swedish-ci. this collation is also set for every table in a column.

- now the new hosting; this is on a plesk server with mysql 4.0.22 and phpmyadmin 2.6.0.pl3. on this server, using phpmyadmin, i can not run "show character set;" to show me default character set and collation.

The question is, how do i replicate the database? And can i use phpmyadmin?

So far, after having some issue with what i think are related to version differences, i was able to get the structure and data back up again on the new server. However, this remains the problem, all data is in a wrong charset/collation.

I do not have those collation columns on every table, stating the latin1_swedish-ci collation. Therefor all text is shown in the wrong characters when i look at it with phpmyadmin.

Can anyboy suggest a way to replicate? Maybe step by step? Things i am doing wrong regarding charset and collation?

Thanks so much in advance ! Fiting time here, since dns records will be updated if not stopped on time...need to get the DB up and running.

Greetings Robin

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Database replication, what to do?
July 09, 2005 08:56AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.