MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Supported Databases - Where To Start?
Posted by: Dennis Brody
Date: July 11, 2005 05:14PM

Hello- Pardon my ignorance... It seems as if "NEWBIE" here refers to someone with only a Master's in Computer Science. Alas, I have neither the above or any other MySQL skills.... So let me pose the simplest of questions:
When I open MySQLAdmin I can "add a new database." Does this refer to an already existing database on my system? (I assume it does because I can use the "BROWSE" option to find the path.) If this is the case, what type of database can I use? Does MySQL support, for instance, FileMaker or Microsoft Access? Others?
Or the other scenario: If the above is not valid, do I have to create a new database within MySQL? If this is how it's done, I have no idea how to access the new MySQL database to add data to it???? (Miraculously, I figured out how to change/add fields).
As you can see, I have no idea where to start! Any helpful souls out there who might take pity on me? Let me point out that I have looked for answers to these questions already, but most documentation seems to assume that newbies are already very, very knowledgeable about the basics.
Thank-you!
DB~

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Supported Databases - Where To Start?
July 11, 2005 05:14PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.