MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

MyISAM vs InnoDB?
Posted by: Faith Ombongi
Date: January 29, 2013 02:11AM

Hello Team,

I've encountered this problem since yesterday and it seems to recur.

One of my client services uses a separate database from the rest of our databases and their two tables are InnoDB tables; All our tables run on MyISAM engine and I haven't met this problem before.

The activity necessiting update and selection of data from the two InnoDB tables was very slack since the tables/database/service was created. For the past 3 dyas, the client has run an active campaign to mobilize citizens hence a lot of activity on the tables;

At one point yesterday, insertion into one of the tables just stopped. I tried troubleshooting the possible cause by running a manual insert via the stored procedure but manual insertion did not generate any error; It was a success. When I ran show processlist, I realized more than 149 processes which is a little unusual. A few moments later, everything just hang and when i tried to telnet into 3306, i got the error "too many connections". Since the whole thing hand my server, i was forced to restart it. I realize my processes had obviously exceeded the 151 limit.

I can't explain what happened after that but the insertion/update resumed and everything worked well for a while;

This morning, the whole thing hang again and i had to restart and resume processes.

I'd like to know if it would be best for me to change the database engine to MyISAM atleast to ensure the backlog of requests is processed (I run an SMS-based service). If not, what is the best way to deal with this and ensure the server hang doesn't recurr?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MyISAM vs InnoDB?
January 29, 2013 02:11AM
January 30, 2013 11:27PM
January 31, 2013 06:03AM
January 31, 2013 12:02PM
January 31, 2013 10:17PM
February 01, 2013 05:13AM
February 01, 2013 04:46PM
February 01, 2013 05:08AM
February 05, 2013 12:55AM
February 05, 2013 10:30PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.