MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Deleting Tables from the Data Folder
Posted by: Pete Wilde
Date: June 07, 2013 10:32AM

Hi,

I have a database that creates numerous temporary tables to hold data for processing.

Previously, after a data run, I would go into PHPmyAdmin and delete each table individually, which was very time-consuming. I couldn't simply drop the database as it has other tables which are required.

However, I have discovered that within the MySQL "data" folder there is a sub-folder which is the name of my database, and within that folder are a number of files, each one of which corresponds to a table name within the database.

When I delete a file, the corresponding table is also deleted from within Mysql, so I am assuming that each file holds the "data" for that table.

This is a quick and easy way for me to delete the temporary tables.

However, I am not sure if doing it this way has any adverse impact on the database (i.e. by corrupting it in some way), or whether it is literally the equivalent of a "Drop Table" command within PHPmyAdmin.

Anyone know for sure? Can I just delete the files from within the folder rather than deleting them from within PHPmyAdmin?

Thanks & regards,

Pete

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Deleting Tables from the Data Folder
June 07, 2013 10:32AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.