MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Newbie needs help selecting which MySQL to use.
Posted by: Kenneth Slayor
Date: February 17, 2014 11:28PM

I am attempting to build a website from scratch. I have never done this, and have no programming background or experience. I have two books dealing with php, mysql, html5, and css3 which I am reading as I go. I am also using the materials at W3C school to help me learn and validate the html documents I am currently making.

I am at an impasse now because what I need to do requires I create a database. I came to MySQL thinking this would be an easy quick download of a single product - only to discover a number of choices whose descriptions make little or no sense to me.

I need to maintain a database that will keep a site member roster with information some of which will be displayed publicly and some of which will be strictly limited to administrative use. I will need to use the DoB of members to set access parameters for different sections of the sight. (I am using ESRB ratings to establish what types of content may be discussed and posted where, and setting access accordingly. I want the access to be calculated and maintained automatically.)

It is my intention to promote a venue for creative writing. Each member will be able to create and maintain, from the front end, a table of fictional characters and limited details about those characters. Once having entered that character in a table on their profile, I want the member to be able to click on the name of the character to open a biography page on which may be placed images and text for a written character sketch followed by additional short stories and story line development as the member is so inspired.

The key to this central part of my plan is the development and management of the database. To that end, I need it to be easily understandable by me. While I am not afraid to copy and paste what works, and is freely given, I am uneasy about code that I do not understand in grammar and syntax. In other words, and especially at this time, I need to use the KISS principle.

With the above in mind:
1) Is there anything else I need to tell you before you can assist me?
2) What version of MySQL will best suit my needs?
3) Why?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Newbie needs help selecting which MySQL to use.
February 17, 2014 11:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.