MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

MySql and triggers and performance
Posted by: Dev SI
Date: June 05, 2014 11:07PM

Hi

I have the following requirement. I have 4 MySQL databases and an application in which the user needs to get the count of number of records in tables of each of these databases. The issue is that count may change in every minute or second. So whenever the user mouse-hovering the particular UI area, I need to have a call to all these databases and get the count. I don’t think it is a best approach, as these tables contain millions of records and every time on mouse over, a dB call is going to all these databases.

Trigger is the one approach I found. Rather than we are pulling data from the database, I feel like whenever any insert/update/delete happening to these tables, a trigger will execute and that will increment/decrement the count in another table (which contain only the count of these tables). But I have read like triggers will affect database performance, but also read some situation trigger is the only solution.

So please guide me in my situation triggers are the solution? If it affects the database performance I don’t need that. Is there any other better approach for this problem?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySql and triggers and performance
June 05, 2014 11:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.