MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Database Structure
Posted by: Santilal Parbhu
Date: July 07, 2014 10:21PM

Hi

Thanks for that. I had convinced myself that separate tables were the way to go. The reason for my thinking was that I have read that to make tables normalised (1FN,2FN, 3FN etc) you end up separating data to make additional tables. So instead of Table "Entries" with columns EntryID (PK), EventID, ClubID, CompetitorID etc, I would have a separate table for each club - ClubAEntries - EntryID, EventID, CompetitorID; ClubBEntries - EntryID, EventID, CompetitorID etc. So each club running a competition would have its own table of entries where competitors from anywhere could enter. This would make it tidier from a human perspective but not necessarily so from a computer perspective. Furthermore I thought that separate tables would be easier to query because your query would not need to use "joins". That was the logic I followed arriving at my conclusion, but as a newbie, there is nothing to say my logic is correct. I would be interested in any comments.

Thanks.
Santilal

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
July 05, 2014 04:51AM
July 07, 2014 07:35AM
Re: Database Structure
July 07, 2014 10:21PM
July 09, 2014 03:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.