MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Can't connect to MySQL server on... pretty much anything
Posted by: Peter Brawley
Date: February 18, 2015 02:18PM

> What do you mean by an Access front end?

Microsoft Access has a database backend, and a GUI application frontend which can handle Access databases or other ODBC-compliant databases eg SQL Server, MySQL.

> And then why is there an ODBC driver specifically for this?

?! Connector/ODBC is not specifically for Microsoft Access.

> 127.0.0.1 is the local machine, not the remote server.

> I get the same error message, but with that address showing in the message rather than what I show in my sample message.
> This happens on THREE completely different instances of MySQL server:

> 1) The one we are using at work (I am unclear as to precisely where this is being hosted; by MySQL or phpMyAdmin,
> or a physical server at the office on the west coast)

?! not sure what you mean here, phpMyAdmin is not a MySQL host, it's a MySQL client.

> where do I determine the settings that I need in order to access the remote server?
> Is there a local port I need to enable? I've installed MySQL on my Laptop to do make sure that I've done that. It still doesn't work.

Let's see all the settings you're trying for ODBC connection to the local MySQL server

> Does the Web Host hosting the MySQL server databases need to grant permissions above and beyond what MySQL Server grants?

Understandably, web hosts strictly control external connections to databases they host. Ask your web host for what they require.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Can't connect to MySQL server on... pretty much anything
February 18, 2015 02:18PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.