MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

how hard to learn to create/architect/maintain MySql
Posted by: Stephanie Fonder
Date: March 18, 2015 10:26AM

Hello,
This is such a high level question but I have to make an employment decision within hours.

I've interviewed with a group that is interested in taking me on based on my enthusiasm for a 4 month interim project to build a mysql DB (in linux, I believe). Fairly simple DB that occasionally the content gets blown away and they start over. Also they need some programs to extract and process info.

My interest in this group is that they are a very stable place of employment to buld a reputation with if I ever need a fallback plan and I'd get to add some new interesting skills to my resume. However, I likely will get 2, maybe 2.5 days a week to devote to it and if I take on too much...well, there goes that reputation I was trying to build.

Just looking to see if the level of commitment is reasonable or not with someone of my skill level given the time I have to give.

My Background:
I am a software engineer with >10 yrs experience, but I have never taken a full DB class and very little exposure. I took a JAVA class that spent 2 - 3 hour sessions covering relational DB using JDBC and learned the very basics of what relational databases look like and forming basic queries (insert, delete, update, select, inner join). This included writting a couple of Java applications that connected and queried the DB on extremly small DB (5 small tables), but in total was no more than a week of full time effort to write.

Thanks in advance for your input

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
how hard to learn to create/architect/maintain MySql
March 18, 2015 10:26AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.