MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Help with editing tables that I don't have access to??
Posted by: Jaime Slocum
Date: March 24, 2015 08:36AM

So this is an absurdly dumb question I'm sure but I've had some experience with directly accessing mySQL databases, opening up tables and making in line edits using either shell commands or a GUI like mySQL workbench but now I've got a software (SugarCRM) that is based on mySQL and its hosted by the software company so I don't have access to the tables directly.

I need to clean up some of the tables in this software and they've offered to export the tables in question to .sql or .csv files. I've actually got the .csv and done the cleaning but when I sent it back to them to import they told me they couldn't bring it back in unless "you could generate the SQL needed to insert the data directly into the database and provide it to us"

As best I can tell this would mean creating a .sql file that manually specifies where each of the 40,000 lines from the csv should be inserted, which I obviously couldn't write manually or it would take decades.

Could someone possibly point me in the direction of a tool that I could use to build the import commands to help get this csv back where it needs to go? Should I have had them export a .sql table and cleaned that up directly in an editor, would that have been easier to get back in?

I'm sure I'm not giving you enough info here so please ask anything you need elaboration on but really any help, or general directions on where to go to read up on this would be great.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Help with editing tables that I don't have access to??
March 24, 2015 08:36AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.