MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

MySQL for Windows vs. XAMPP with MySQL
Posted by: Danny Weiss
Date: May 28, 2015 02:37AM

My issue here is essentially which version of MySQL to use on a personal machine for learning purposes, and can a version installed for web purposes be used for other purposes. Since I already have MySQL as it was installed with the XAMPP web package (Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc), I am wondering if I can use that installation for other purposes and with other applications, or if I have to install the standalone Windows version of MySQL.

As I approach learning MySQL, every book I look at starts off by telling me to install MySQL and some of its utilities, such as MySQL Workbench on my Windows PC. What I am trying to figure out is whether I can just use the version of XAMPP already installed with XAMPP and still make use of the utilities such as Workbench and various others? If so, do I need to configure the utilities in any special way to have them communicate with the MySQL / XAMPP installation?

Or, should I just install the regular Windows version of MySQL and if I do that will it interfere in any way with my XAMPP installation?

Thanks,

-Danny

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL for Windows vs. XAMPP with MySQL
May 28, 2015 02:37AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.