MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Simple UPDATE query takes too much time in InnoDB than MyISAM
Posted by: Atul Patil
Date: May 31, 2015 03:31AM

Quick description:

In my application (VC++/Windows 8) I am issuing simple update queries to increase value of a field in a InnoDB table. It takes way too long than the same with MyISAM table.

Details:

I am creating a table DEMO_TABLE having columns MyID and MyCounter (both integers) and engine MyISAM

pStatement->execute("CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS DEMO_TABLE(MyID int NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, MyCounter int) ENGINE=MyISAM");

I then added to the table a row having MyID value equal to 0. Then I am issuing UPDATE query in a loop:

time_t dwTime1 = time(&dwTime1);
for (int i=0; i<500; i++)
{
char strUpdateRequest[256];
sprintf_s(strUpdateRequest, 256, "UPDATE DEMO_TABLE SET MyCounter = (MyCounter + 1) WHERE ThreadID = 0");
pStatement->executeUpdate(strUpdateRequest);
}
time_t dwTime2 = time(&dwTime2);
std::cout << "\nTime difference: " << (dwTime2 - dwTime1);

It ran quickly and the output was:

Time difference: 0

Means it has consumed less than a second.

But when I deleted table and repeated all this exercise again with InnoDB engine.

pStatement->execute("CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS DEMO_TABLE(ThreadID int NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, MyCounter int) ENGINE=InnoDB");

However, this time to my surprise it took much longer and the output was:

Time difference: 17

It has consumed 17 seconds.

(Despite, in both the cases above I checked table containts and found MyCounter column value has been populated correctly (500))

UPDATE:

I also have observed there is lot of disk activity in these 17 seconds.

Question:

In many discussions and even in MySQL documents it has been mentioned that in case of updates InnoDB performs much better than MyISAM. But I observed exactly opposite.

Can someone please clarify this behavior? Am I doing anything wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Simple UPDATE query takes too much time in InnoDB than MyISAM
May 31, 2015 03:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.