MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: How to store complex graph paths in mysql?
Posted by: Ivan Evstegneev
Date: June 24, 2015 05:22PM

Peter Brawley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there onetable containing all edges in the network?

Yes. As I said before I have table named "Edges" in that table I have column named edge_id, this column includes all the edges for a given network topology.

>Do transmitters, amplifiers, repeaters and other such
> elements count as nodes in your network model?

Well... Yes. But it depends on how "deep" I want my path to be described.
The nearest analogy I can provide from the real world is a traveling path.
Suppose you take a train from city X to city Y. In a simplest case the paths will be represented as: X-train-Y. Where cities are the "nodes" and the "train" is an edge.

But this path may be further expanded by adding the railway station platform numbers and the train number (ID) so after-all it the new path will look like this one: X-15-train-16-Y (where 15 and 16 the platform numbers).

Same is about networks. If you want to get full info about all the elements included in your path then you must consider them as nodes

Anyway, in case you're interested I've hosted images of my DB sketch and network topology, but I can't insert links here (may send them via PM?)

Sincerely,

Ivan

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.