MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Linux MySQL ODBC 5.3 Driver files - What is "libmyodbc5S.so" ?
Posted by: Ray From Toronto
Date: June 01, 2016 11:29PM

Greetings Folks:

My question is rather simple/straight forward. From https://downloads.mysql.com/archives/c-odbc/ we can download the MySQL ODBC Driver 5.3.4

The libraries folder of the distribution file for linux contains the following Shared Objects:

libmyodbc5S.so
libmyodbc5a.so
libmyodbc5w.so

I use UnixODBC with libmyodbc5S.so - Note that it is S as in Samantha before the .so - So lets just call it "Samantha" because of the S.

I've been using Samantha like a fool for over 10 years, NOT KNOWING who or what she is.
I could not find any documentation as to what is Samantha's standard. I mean what is her type?

But the attached documentation in the distribution tells us about:

libmyodbc5a.so (Lets call this Amanda, because of the 'a')
libmyodbc5w.so (Lets call this Wanda, because of 'w')

To the best of my understanding, I've learned the following:

(Amanda) = " libmyodbc5a.so " = MySQL ANSI Standards ODBC Driver type
(Wanda) = " libmyodbc5w.so " = MySQL UNICODE Standards ODBC Driver type

So what Standards ODBC driver is Samantha " libmyodbc5S.so " ??

Please note that Samantha " libmyodbc5S.so " is **completely** independent from the "libodbcmyS.so" file which is is NOT part of the MySQL ODBC 5.3 project.
That is:
libmyodbc5S.so and
libodbcmyS.so are two different files for two different purposes from two different organizations... but to the untrained eye, they may look like the same file as they both share the same alphabets in different order, and the first file has a numeric "5" which is basically means its a MySQL ODBC 5.xx driver.

... So... back to the question:
What Standards ODBC driver is Samantha " libmyodbc5S.so " ??
And can someone educate me please, when and at what circumstances is
Amanda (libmyodbc5a.so) and
Wanda (libmyodbc5w.so) used for?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Ray from Toronto!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Linux MySQL ODBC 5.3 Driver files - What is "libmyodbc5S.so" ?
June 01, 2016 11:29PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.