MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

help improving 'join' efficiency in sub-querys
Posted by: Penfold Horwood
Date: September 15, 2016 07:43AM

Hello all,

I am working for a client who is looking for a view, the rows come from one area however the data they want in the columns come from a removed area of the database.

In order to get the rows, I perform the following select:

Code:
select
grp.identifier
from ABM_form_group as frm_grp
join ABM_form_domain as frm_dom on frm_grp.ABM_form_domain_id = frm_dom.id
join ABM_group as grp on frm_grp.ABM_group_id = grp.id
where ABM_form_id = 10this is successful and quick, there is no issue with this element on its own however the value within the first column is obtained with the following sub-query:

Code:
(select case e.status when 1 then 'REJ' when 2 then 'PCON' when 3 then 'CON' when 4 then 'RFR' else 'OPN' end
from ABM_data_group_evidence as e
join ABM_form_group as d2 on e.ABM_form_group_id = d2.id
join ABM_group as d on d2.ABM_group_id = d.id
join ABM_evidence on e.ABM_evidence_id = ABM_evidence.id
join ABM_link_form_group as lnk on (ABM_evidence.id = lnk.ABM_evidence_id and d2.id = lnk.ABM_form_group_id)
join ABM_form_requirement as frm_req on lnk.ABM_form_requirement_id = frm_req.id
where d2.id = frm_grp.id and frm_req.id = 335) as 'Question 1'as you can see, I need to jump through several tables to get to the data that I require for the column.
This starts to become very slow when I am required to have 200 of these with different "frm_req" id numbers.

I am sure there is an easier way (maybe by taking the joins out of the sub-query and putting it into the main query?)
can someone advise me on a way to improve this?

Kind Regards,
Grant

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.