MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

I have a partitioned data set; how to best migrate to MySQL's Partioning?
Posted by: Joseph Masters
Date: December 04, 2009 11:24AM

I have an extremely large dataset that is set up in the following way:

1. I have a main database with a "MSACity" table that contains all of the Cities in the US along with their associated MSAs (Metropolitan Statistical Areas).

2. I have one database for each MSA, named for the MSA, with a "Addresses" table, which can contain millions of rows.

3. Right now, when I want to pull the information for an address out of the MSA Addresses tables, I do one query into the MSACity to find the MSA, and then I make another query into that MSA's database for the address. This is quite fast...

However, I now want to move to using a library that has a nice Object-Relational Model in it that won't easily support the intermediate lookup. So I'm looking at the MySQL Partitioning features in 5.1, and it seems like they would work, but I'm not sure on the best way to use them in this scenario.

Can anyone provide guidance?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
I have a partitioned data set; how to best migrate to MySQL's Partioning?
December 04, 2009 11:24AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.