MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Full-Text Search

with query expansion search appends whole rows?
Posted by: Ahmet Arslan
Date: May 26, 2010 05:35PM

Hello everyone,

I am conducting some text retrieval experiments with MySQL 5.5.3.

I have a question regarding WITH QUERY EXPANSION search mode.

In this presentation [1] I learned that it applies blind relevance feedback. It runs natural language mode query twice and add top 20 results (controlled by ft_query_expansion_limit variable default 20) to original query.
Manual says: "concatenated with the few most highly relevant documents"
And my question is: Does it append/concatenate whole rows to the original query? so that second query becomes very long (original query + 20 rows)?
Or it selects some important words inside rows?

If someone reply this I will be very happy.

I am asking this because I tried to verify this as follows:

I set ft_query_expansion_limit to 1. Execute natural language query and get first result. Append first row to initial/original query manually. And then re-query this long query using natural language mode.
When i compared this results with (initial/original query with query expansion mode), the results were quite different.
I also tried to ignore initial query so that i queried first document, results were again different.

I am simply trying to re-produce the same results of With Query Expansion using/querying natural language mode query twice.

Than you for your consideration.

[1] http://forge.mysql.com/w/images/c/c5/Fulltext.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
with query expansion search appends whole rows?
May 26, 2010 05:35PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.