MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Query Browser

Help! Need to correct and 'merge' column values
Posted by: Karen Avery
Date: September 27, 2005 12:28PM

Help please! I have a table with column values that have 'separated' due to a spelling error during loading. I need to 'merge' these column values so that the new entries are under the correct (original) column value identification number BUT not replaced. I enter over 55,000 files at a time so deleting and re-entry are not an option.

I can use MySQL query browser to edit the name of the field to be correct but the identification number for the value remains unchanged. If I edit the identification number to be the same I get a duplication error. I'm not familiar with the language to select and modify the values in the query browser so that I can obtain the correct value and then delete the extra table column value. Please help.

For example:
Table A has 15 columns. One column named 'mistake' contains column values of x, y, and z with identification numbers of 10, 11, and 12. When entering files into Table A column 'mistake' had its column value set at Xx with a identification number of 13. Everything else is correct. The column value needs to be x but more importantly the identification numbers must match. Also, the rows that make up these new files must not be 'merged' into the previous rows as they are new additional entries for x.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Help! Need to correct and 'merge' column values
September 27, 2005 12:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.