MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Upgrade from 4.0.27 to 5.0
Posted by: Chris Richards
Date: March 31, 2007 11:11PM

I'm not entirely certain if I'm in the right forum here, so if I'm not, please feel free to redirect me.

I'm having some major headaches in upgrading from MySQL 4.0.27-41 to MySQL 5.0.

My platform is Gentoo Linux 2.4.25-pre7, php 4.4.1, and apache 1.3.29

I've read the upgrade instructions, but I can only guess I am doing something horribly wrong, despite trying my best to follow the instructions. So, here's what I've done:

mysqldump -u backupuser --password=backupuserpassword --opt -B database1 database2 database3 database4 > /DBBackupDir/DBBackup

emerge =dev-db/mysql-4.1.22-r1

This all went without a hitch (I'm moving to 4.1 first before going to 5.0 because I understand that this is the recommended way of doing it). However, when I tried to start the server, it wouldn't start, and I got errors in the log like this:
mysql.user table is damaged or in unsupported 3.20 format.

Ok, so I half-way expected this. So, I stop the server, delete the data directory, and run mysql_install_db. Now the server starts up, so far so good.

So now I run:
cat /DBBackupDir/DBBackup | mysql -u root -p

Everything starts up fine, things rock along for a few minutes, and then I get an error indicating there is something wrong with my SQL syntax.

So, what do I do now? The backup I made using mysqldump can't be restored in the new version, and the mysql.user table is in the wrong format work with the new database. ARG!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Upgrade from 4.0.27 to 5.0
March 31, 2007 11:11PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.