MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

(Solved) ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
Posted by: Clinton Forrester
Date: May 31, 2009 11:36PM

Hi there,

I have scoured this forums for a solution to this problem and after 3 weeks I have still had no success. I am running MySQL 5.1.34 on Vista Ultimate 32 bit under the Administrator account.

I have done all of the following:

* Uninstalled MySQL, scanned the registry and deleted all instances of the term MySQL and reinstalled - No Success (receive the same error)

* Downloaded My SQL GUI Tools and run SQLAdministrator and tried to set the password with that - No Success (receive the same error)

* Tried running "mysqld --skip-grant-tables" - No Success (it just hangs the command prompt)

* Deleted and recreated my lmhosts file from scratch - No Success

I have tried practically every possible solution posted on the forums (which often work for so many others) and NOTHING has worked.

Can ANYONE actually tell me what the actual problem is here? Is this a bug? If so, has it been reported and any viable solution/workaround been given?

I am a student who is currently trying to learn PHP and I have reached the point in my lessons where I cannot progress with getting MySQL to work.

PLEASE can ANYONE help?

EDIT: FINALLY found a solution that works.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html#resetting-permissions-windows

The steps did not go EXACTLY as the tutorial said it would (Remove the -nt after the "mysqld" command and in Step 6, the server does not actually start) but after initialising the server with the init file, and then restarting the service, I ran the command:

mysql -u root -p

and got the prompt for the password which I entered and got the "mysql>" prompt. FINALLY!!!!

Good luck with any of your problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 12:28AM by Clinton Forrester.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.