MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

How to best disable log bin for mysql_upgrade
Posted by: Russell Glaue
Date: August 05, 2009 12:28PM

I am upgrading minor MySQL versions, 5.0.67 to 5.0.84
I have a master-master replication setup, and want to upgrade both installations.
The ideal procedure for upgrading mysql using the mysql_upgrade command is to have binary logging turned off during the execution of mysql_upgrade.

My situation is I do not want to turn off binary logging for the entire server, I would like to turn off binary logging just for the session of the mysql_upgrade connection.

I wish there was a --disable-log-bin option as exists in mysqlbinlog:
mysql_upgrade --disable-log-bin [options]
But mysql_upgrade does not support --disable-log-bin
So it seems my only option is to turn off binary logging for the entire server while I execute mysql_upgrade. Which also means blocking write access to the server while it runs so that statements I do want logged for replication do not occur.

Is there another simple way to achieve this? Or what is best practice that achieves the least amount of down time?

Does anyone agree with me that mysql_upgrade should support the --disable-log-bin option, as supported in mysqlbinlog?
The documentation says that the execution of mysql_upgrade should not be replicated, so it seems to me an option like this should have been made available.

Alternately, if I could get an SQL script of the changes that would be made, I can insert a "set local sql_log_bin=0" in it to achieve my desired results.

Any help?

-RG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 03:34PM by Russell Glaue.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
How to best disable log bin for mysql_upgrade
August 05, 2009 12:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.