MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Could not connect to Database - error
Posted by: Jack D
Date: March 19, 2010 10:23AM

Hello,

I'm hoping someone could help me here. I'm not too familiar with the technical stuff so please be patient with me if you need more information to be able to offer me some help.

The product catalog on our website, which gets generated from a Mysql database gives "Could not connect to Database" error. We first noticed this yesterday. In all honesty, I might be to blame for this since I've been trying to create a new database for a new joomla website (different root) but to best of my knowledge I did not touch this existing database and did not change any settings including the password.

Since then, in my efforts to figure this out and considering that I might have inadvertently changed the password, I've set a new password both in the database settings and a file named "dbcon.inc.php" that I found inside a folder "include"
in the root directory. I'm pasting that part from this file here:

<?php
/*+-------------------------------------------------------+
Created for Configuration Variables
+-------------------------------------------------------+*/
set_magic_quotes_runtime(1);

//database specific
define("DB_SERVER" ,"db976.perfora.net"); // mysql1038.servage.net
define("DB_USER" ,"dboxxxxxxxxx"); // dbgnn
define("DB_PASSWORD" ,"4F34ZnWM"); // xxxxxx
define("DB_NAME" ,"dbxxxxxxxxx");

//other default
define("READ_ONLY" ,"readonly");
define("READ_WRITE" ,"readwrite");
define("WRITE_ONLY" ,"writeonly");

//error off
//error_reporting(0);

db_open();

/*+-------------------------------------------------------+
Created for Database Access:
Purpose:Opens Database
By :intouch
+-------------------------------------------------------+*/

This has not helped me and still getting the same error message.

This website was developed by a third party who since then have vanished from the planet earth. So, I can't seek their help on this.

As I mentioned, this problem started recently and I believe only because I have been trying to create a new database for a new joomla website. I was able to create the new database successfully and it working fine. I had to delete and recreate this new database a few times during the joomla installation process but again as I have mentioned before I was careful enough not to mess with the existing database in the process.

What could have messed up and how can I get it to work?

Any help is much appreciated.

Edit: I just realized I might have posted this in under wrong forum topic and probably should have posted it under Newbie. So, please forgive me for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 10:29AM by Jack D.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Could not connect to Database - error
March 19, 2010 10:23AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.